Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Food Insecurity on College Campuses

As of 2015, 13.5% of households in the United States were food insecure (Feeding America). That means people in these households people experienced a period of time (or many times) when they were unsure about where or how they were going to get food. This is an unacceptable problem. We have plenty of food in the United States, but as a society we would rather throw away food than equitably distribute it. 

Here are some U.S. food waste estimates from Feeding America - Food Waste Statistics
  •  25-40% of the food that is grown and processed goes on to be wasted food 
  • About 70 billion of pounds of food are wasted each year


Food insecurity doesn't discriminate

Food insecurity affects people of all ages and all stages of life.  Many college students experience food insecurity. This has been a problem for as long as I can remember. I was lucky because I always had enough money for rent, tuition and books. I was a full time student and I always worked part-time. I had enough for food until it came close to payday . When money was tight, I hunted for returnable cans and bottles, hauled them to Econo Foods and exchanged them for money. Again, I was lucky because I was in Michigan where you get you $0.10 per returnable item. I could gather enough to buy groceries, toilet paper, and a pitcher of very cheap beer (before I knew I had celiac disease). I bought inexpensive, energy dense and nutrient poor food because it cost less. I know many people who didn't eat sometimes because they had choose between rent and food. We took care of one another the best that we could but food insecurity was not something that was ever officially discussed. Everyone I knew lived this way. It seemed normal. Some of my friends occasionally received food packets from St. Vincent De Paul to help fill their food gap. Looking back, they were they were the smart ones. 




Food insecurity on college campuses


College students lack access to affordable, nutritious food. They face even higher tuition rates. Rent and utility costs continue to go up but wages don't rise proportionately. The financial burden and stress college students face grows.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect food insecurity impacts more college students now than ever before.  Yet we continue to rationalize student poverty, food insecurity and hunger, as part of the "normal" college experience. 

A recent survey of >3,700 students at universities and community colleges in 12 states revealed that nearly half of the students didn't have reliable access to nutritious, affordable food during the last 30 days. Here is a link to an article that describes the research study: 1 in 4 College Students Are Hungry

Food insecurity and hunger are not normal. It is unacceptable and we can do better for our students and our society.


Food pantries on college campuses


Today's college students have seen the problem and taken action. Over the last several years, students have opened food pantries on their college campuses. Student operated food pantries provide outreach and support to their food insecure peers. 

The College and University Food Bank Alliance is an organization that brings colleges and universities together as they work to establish and run food pantries on college campuses. As of October 16, 2016, 367 colleges and universities are a part of this alliance. It's an impressive organization. It also reminds me how much work we have to do to just be better at helping one another.




If you would like to learn more about hunger in the United States or would like to donate in some way, check out 
Feeding America (About Us)